- I wanted my stalks of grass to be fairly uniform in size
- I didn't want my stalks to be perfectly straight. For this reason I couldn't just strip-piece.
- I didn't want my stalks to be totally random. So that meant I couldn't improv piece strips.
- I wanted a fairly even distribution of background fabric and green fabric
- I wanted to use up scraps of background fabric, so I couldn't do a long slash-and-insert block (click here for a tutorial showing what that is)
- I wanted to end up with a relatively straight rectangle that I could trim at the end. Sometimes when I just improv piece random strips together the block can end up pretty wonky and slightly curved.
I should also mention that my border is going to have different corner blocks made out of butterfly blocks.
To begin, I cut my background scraps into 2" x 8" strips and I cut green scraps in to 1'' x 8" strips. I didn't exactly know how many of each strip I would need, so I just cut a lot of strips. This was part of the improv!
Note: Because of the width of strips that I was using, at this point I needed my border to be roughly as long now it would be when it was finished. The next step of inserting slashed pieces in to it would not actually create any length to the border since I was only inserting 1" pieces and was using a 1/4" seam allowance.
The final step was trimming it all in to a long rectangle. I lined up one of the straight green end pieces with one of the vertical lines on my cutting mat, then I lined up my ruler with one of the horizontal lines and I sliced off the uneven ends! I repeated that process so the border would be 6 1/2" tall... And that's it! My grass border was done.